Let’s Talk to Our Kids About Bullying!
Did you know that about one-third of the globe’s young teens are bullied? These alarming statistics were shared by UNESCO Institute of Statistics in 2018. But the effects of bullying are even more far reaching. This is because bullying effects the bully, the bullied and also the children watching them.
Many parents are often unsure where teasing ends and bullying begins. The three defining characteristics of bullying are – intent to hurt, repetition and power. An isolated fight can’t be termed as bullying.
So, what can we do to protect our kids from becoming the victim or the perpetrator? The first step towards building a safer space for them is to educate them on the issue. Have open conversations that help children feel comfortable discussing bullying, should they experience or witness it.
The BookGuru team has curated a booklist by grade that will help you have these tough conversations. Kids often find it easier to discuss sensitive issues from a make-believe character’s perspective. All these stories are beautifully written and loved by children world over.
- Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry
- A Big Guy Took My Ball! by Mo Willems
- Llama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna Dewdney
- The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig
- Coat of Many Colors by Dolly Parton
- No More Teasing by Fran Manushkin
- Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
- Willow Finds a Way by Lana Button
- My Secret Bully by Trudy Ludwig
- Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
- Enemy Pie by Derek Munson
- The Bully Blockers Club by Teresa Bateman
- Confessions of a Former Bully by Trudy Ludwig
- Bully by Patricia Polacco
- The Bully Book by Eric Kahn Gale
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
- The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
We hope that you found some of these books to be just right for your little one. These stories address bullying from different perspectives and always leave the reader with a lesson in empathy. And we are sure you will agree that empathy is the only real antidote to bullying.
You can pick from these and other fantastic books from the BookGuru Library. We are always happy to assist.